Sunday, January 2, 2011

SUNDAY NIGHTS WERE MADE FOR CHILI AND CORNBREAD

Is it a cold winter day where you are? How about making some chili and cornbread for dinner? I use my mother's recipe for cornbread. She likes to use Pine Mountain cornmeal but I can't find it anymore. This time I used White Lily buttermilk white cornmeal. The recipe calls for 2 cups of cornmeal, 1 2/3 cups of buttermilk, 1 egg and 1/4 cup wesson oil. Mix the first three ingredients in a bowl. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. You can see in the photo the recipe I've been using. Many years ago I printed some of our favorite family recipes on our OLD Commadore 64 computer. I was very proud of myself for figuring out how to use Printshop at the time. Now, about 20 years later, I'm still using the same recipe which I have made many notes on since.






And I JUST found out this tidbit THIS year from my mom. I had been mixing the oil into the batter, but NO you're supposed to heat up the oil in the oven FIRST for a few minutes..............





and POUR it into the batter when it is hot..................it boils and smells yummy................




then pour your batter into your iron skillet and bake for 20 minutes at 400 degrees.




.......and out pops perfect cornbread..............it could only be better if you ground the corn yourself..............



No comments: