Tuesday, July 9, 2013

RAINBOW STAR QUILT BLOCK



It's been a long time since I have worked on a quilt but when I saw this pretty Star pattern I knew I wanted to make one of my own!

It is basically made out of half square triangles.  I first chose eight patterns that would resemble a rainbow.  This is a great stash buster!



Cut the fabrics into 4" squares.  You will need 2 of each (of the 8) colors for one block.



You can see the pattern here.  First I marked my 1/4" seams and the cutting line on each pair of squares.


A couple of years ago my sister in law gave me this nifty little gadget which easily marks the 1/4" seams and the cutting lines.


I have a large cutting board but it is really handy to have this little cutting board right next to my sewing machine.  Just sew and cut.




Here I have laid out all of the sewn half square triangles.  Now, sew all the rows together and press the seams open.


Be careful to line up the seams so all the seams point to the center.


One block finished!


Here are the first two blocks.  On to make the rest............


No comments: