Tuesday, May 31, 2011

NEW YORK CITY TRAVEL JOURNAL

I just finished making a New York City travel journal out of 140# watercolor paper and watercolor illustrations along with some hand carved stamps for my mother. I used one 22" x 30" sheet of Fabriano hot pressed watercolor paper, cut it and sewed it to make the journal. I lined some of the pages to make it easier to write and journal.   She and five friends are leaving for NYC in the morning for a five day trip to see four plays and tour the city.  I know she really wants to see the Statue of Liberty and Ground Zero.  My husband and I were in NYC two years ago and I took many photos.  I used my photos to paint the illustrations in the journal.




One of the plays they will be seeing is JERSEY BOYS.







One day the tour guide will take them on a tour of Broadway.  When my husband and I were there, I think we saw David Letterman's studio around this street corner.




I've been playing around with carving my own stamps.  Below is a NYC taxi.




And some of NYC's famous bagels.  One of my photos was the inspiration for this hand carved stamp.



I have a collection of snow globes and I bought this one on our trip.


Radio City Music Hall is one of the landmarks I'm sure they will see.



And, this is one of the bagel stands you see on many corners selling their bagels and hot dogs.




Below are some of my photos from my trip in 2009.  I love looking up and finding something unexpected.



We were at Ground Zero when the Ladder 10 truck pulled up.  Those guys are true heroes!!



A carriage ride in Central Park?


And, I happened to catch this little girl on her way out of the American Girl doll store.  This looks like a commercial I think with her big bow, doll and shopping  bag and turning the revolving door!  So NYC!



I captured these Chinese women in a park in ChinaTown playing mah-jongg on a hot Sunday afternoon.



I love walking the streets and finding REAL people doing REAL things in the city.  These kids were enjoying a cool dip in the Washington Park fountain.



Had to get a photo of the famous bagels on the street.  I liked all the color of the soda cans in the background.


And all of the excitement, lights and color around Times Square at night is a must see!

No comments: