Thursday, August 20, 2009

Family Jewels - Vintage Thingies Thursday










Thanks to Coloradolady for hosting Vintage Thingies Thursday. Check out her website to view the other participants and many more interesting vintage items and their stories. Because of the lagging economy, one of my sons decided to move back home for a while to try to save money. I have been cleaning out the basement, organizing, trying to make room for his things. During the years we were transferred around every two years and I could keep a handle on the "stuff". Well, we've been in Atlanta for the past 13 years and it's past time to clean out. As I was cleaning, I found a box of my grandmother's costume jewelry and purses from the 40's. I love the blue brooch and matching earrings. My daughter will love the chunky pearls. The rectangular purse is made entirely of plastic and has a tag labeled "Plasticflex" on the inside. Anyone heard of it? The plastic is woven in a basketweave pattern with little interlocking plastic pieces to hold it together. I also found my father-in-law's football letters. He was the captain of his Jackson, Tennessee high school football team which won several State Championships in the early 30's. I plan to frame these soon. Enjoy your vintage hunting!!

21 comments:

Ruby said...

What great family treasures. I think I've seen one of those purses. UmM ,don't remember for sure. Thanks for sharing and dropping by my post!

the wild raspberry said...

that jewelry is fabulous!!!!
how fun it will be to wear it again...
chasity

Coloradolady said...

Oh, what great family treasures. I love the old football letters, those will be great framed. I seem to remember seeing a purse like the plasticflex before, but I can not remember where..it is just a dusty memory of actually thinking I have seen this before. Love all your jewelry too, the blue is so pretty. Have a great VTT.

Lisa said...

These are awesome!! You have such great treasures!

Postcardy said...

It would be really nice if you could find some an old picture, postcard, or program to to frame with the football stuff.

The purse looks like a good place to store the old jewelry.

Roslyn said...

Great vintage items I especially love the plastic basket weave purse. I have some retro jewelery from a friend's G'ma, the earrings look similar but the clips hurt my ears! Good idea to store the jewelery in the purse!

Kayleen said...

OH how I love vintage jewelry!

Carrie said...

What a delight to see your nice family treasures. Vintage purses like that are so desireable now!

Cass @ That Old House said...

Oh what FUN to find such treasures!

I sympathize with your cleanup. In our first 7 years of marriage, we moved 6 times. Then -- it was 21 YEARS in one house ... we moved from there in 2008 but HOLY MOLY. . . not fun. I still have unpacked boxes in the attic!

Cass

LV said...

You had some real family treasures, but just forgot them for awhile. Glad you found them and shared with us. These are things you might want to keep for the next generation. I am glad you left me a comment.

Old Time Cindy said...

I enjoy vintage pieces that can be worn. They make a statement all on their own!

CC said...

Such wonderful family treasures. The jewelry is gorgeous and I love the purse. Happy VTT..have a wonderful weekend.

Anonymous said...

Grandmother's costume jewelry. I have a few of my grandmother's and they are such a treasure to have, aren't they?
Your grandmother had nice taste!

Beca said...

Vintage jewelry and pretty purses. That's my favorite kind of junk right there. Very nice.

jlshall said...

I think it's wonderful that you have all these family treasures! Yes, the brooch and earrings are really pretty. I love that shade of turquoise blue. Great stuff!

Neabear said...

It must have been fun to find those family treasures! Thanks for visiting my post today.

Hope you have a great rest of the week. And good luck with more cleaning. You just may find more treasures!

Marie said...

You've got real treasures there that I hunt for daily! The purses are adorable!

Keetha Broyles said...

Oh please indulge me while I have a little pity party.

Back in MY day, one ONLY earned letters, insignias, pins, and letter jackets for sports. Since athletic and Keetha Broyles are oxymorons when placed together, I never had any of the above.

Another way to "have" them was to wear your boy friend's.

I flunked in THAT category too.

Oh how I WISH I could wear a letter jacket JUST ONE DAY.


My life has been totally letter jacket deprived.

fitty's pinky rose cottage said...

wow.. all these are precious treasure! worth keeping.. i really love the jeweleries.. especially pearls..

Barbara Jean said...

Beautiful jewelry!

Thanks for coming by and leaving me a note.

See you again soon for a visit.

Blessings,
Barbara Jean

Unknown said...

Your title scared me :) but I really loved your stuff! Purses and Jewelry are always fun! And the football patches need framed in a shadow box or something!